Sunday, 12 February 2006

One or two people have asked me about the title of this journal, so I thought I'd explain myself. Dancing-Girl Art, which is the name of my eBay store, came about whilst I was looking through some old photo albums. I don't have many pictures of myself (trust me, I'm so not photogenic!) but I found this one of me in the garden at my childhood home, dancing up a storm in my mum's high heels.

This made me think about all sorts of things, but mostly it struck me how utterly joyful I looked in that photograph. I'd lost that feeling for a long time, as probably a lot of us do. But then I went back to my childhood love of creating art because I wanted to and that joy started to creep back into my life.

So the dancing girl became a logo and a talisman, and a reminder to be true to myself. It reminds me that I can, in fact, still dance.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, you do look so happy in that picture and I am so glad that you too have found joy in art!

    Kari x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dancing girl photo Fran, I have always thought she is ace - pure joy!

    Thanks for linking me - how do I link you?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this photo. How wonderful our world would be if we all just "danced up a storm!" Thanks for the explanation, it made my day. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through art I really believe one can as an adult find our inner child.

    Having said this we must know the difference between childlike and childish.

    "The soul without imagination is what an observatory would be without a telescope." - Henry Ward Beeche

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a great photograph. Dance away, Fran, that little girl is still there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, I'm glad you shared this, it really made me smile :) What a sweet picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran - I love this picture so much - it's so spontaneous, without any fear of embarrassment or inhibition. It captures how children should be and us too although we often forget to just 'be' and let ourselves go. I often click on this picture just to look at at - I love seeing that moment in time. It's fantastic and always brings a smile to my face. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fran, what a great story! Truly a window to your soul!

    ReplyDelete