Thursday 21 August 2008

Need For Speed


Much as I hate to admit it, I have a very low boredom threshold and need to be constantly trying new creative paths. Well if you've followed this blog for any length of time I guess that's stating the bleedin' obvious, but anyway...

Last week I was at the wonderful Festival of Quilts
in Birmingham which my daughter and I have been going to pretty much since it started a few years ago. Even if you don't make quilts and never intend to, it's a wonderful event filled with a huge variety of traditional and art quilts from all over the world and well worth seeing. And of course there is a market section where you can find all manner of supplies you almost need and therefore have to buy.

My new toy was a bunch of acid dyes. I have a whole pile of lovely 4ply blue-faced Leicester cones of undyed yarn and a burning desire to do some hand painting, so yesterday I had my first go and this is the result. I think I could quite easily become addicted to this as there is always a slightly random or surprise element to dyeing, especially as some of the colours don't reveal themselves until after the yarn has been heat set. Anyway I'm quite happy so far, now all I need to do is think what I'm going to knit with it! Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Hi!! I just got back home to Austin after my long trip and it is always a special pleasure to read your blog. It's a lovely surprise every time!! Thank you for adding me to your "pussycat" updates. I need to learn how to do that (I am technically hopeless!)

    Hope your summer is winding down in splendor, my friend.

    Best regards
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, enjoying seeing your knitting adventures - dyeing too! Soon you will be trying your hand at spinning, eh?

    Lovely watercolours as well!

    Hugs,
    Kari x (finding my way back into blogland again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Fran -- I haven't checked on you in awhile and NOW look what you're doing!! These are gorgeous. I know you'll do something fantastic with 'em. Love your architectural watercolors, too.. Good to touch base again.
    Sallyt

    ReplyDelete