Wednesday 15 July 2009

Washed Out

What are these, you ask? Why they're washcloths, or you could use them as dishcloths if you'd rather. I have been knitting loads of them this last week and it all started with Vincent proclaiming his lack of a face flannel and desire for same.

I've never liked those commercial terry towelling flannels because they tend to end up mouldy and/or slimy, which isn't the greatest bath time experience. So I thought, well how hard can it be to knit one? And that's what I did; just found some nice stitch patterns and improvised. If you fancy having a go yourself I used DK cotton and a size 3.5 circular needle - they aren't knit in the round, I just use circulars for everything as I find them much more comfortable to work with.

Cast on 35 or so stitches which will give you a cloth approximately 7" wide and use whatever stitch pattern you like. I used a mix of knit and purl because that gives a nice knubbly surface for washing with, but if you'd rather have a smooth cloth just do stocking stitch with a garter or moss stitch edging so that the finished cloth lies flat and doesn't roll in on itself, then knit until your cloth is square, or rectangular if you prefer. Cast off and there you are, one luxurious washcloth to pamper your skin.

Of course, if you don't feel like making your own you can get mine here. More will be added in the next day or two.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I've just learned to knit so I'm going to try one of these, thanks for the instructions! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been able to learn how to knit...I am a leftu and the only teachers I can find are rightys, and well, I can't reverse the logic...sigh, so I won't be making my own but these are just lovely! The colors make them extra bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete