Monday 19 October 2009

A World Of Their Own


Vincent came back from the supermarket the other day with a couple of pots of house leeks, which I absolutely love. They grow in the most dry and inhospitable places, even on the roofs of houses, hence the name. Their Latin name, sempervivum, also gives a strong hint towards their tenaciousness, meaning as it does ever-living

My tiny garden has become rather swamped by black bamboo this year. Slow growing, they said at the garden centre. Yeah, right. It runs like Usain Bolt and has grown to about 10 feet tall in the past eighteen months. V has broken all my gardening tools trying to dig it up and reduce it to a more manageable sized clump. Anyway, I need tough plants for my garden as it gets very hot in there in summer, which brings us back to the house leeks. These and herbs are what I plan to concentrate on growing next year, along with some tomatoes perhaps. In the meantime there's a lot of clearing up to do, so I'd better get back to it!

2 comments:

  1. they're beautiful! i want to see the bamboo, please. i tried to grow some and um... yeah i honestly don't know what happened to it! i don't even remember where i planted it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try and photograph it Tami, it's such a jungle out out there. Really.

    ReplyDelete