Thursday 24 November 2011

Knits That Fit


Yes, it's been eons since I posted. Well, you know how it is - life gets in the way, and it certainly has been doing lately. Anyway, whilst I was elsewhere, I have been getting very interested in knitting sweaters for myself and, more to the point, knitting sweaters for myself that actually fit! *gasp* Now you may think that this is no big deal, right? You just follow the pattern and you end up with a garment that fits you, yes? I mean, it's knitting, it'll stretch. 

Well, no, in fact. If you aren't a standard size it often becomes necessary to make quite a lot of alterations to patterns as written so that you end up with a pleasing result. And lets face it, if you've spent 3 months knitting an aran sweater, as I just have, you want to be able to wear it and enjoy it afterwards. Fortunately I discovered a Ravelry group run by the wonderful Julie, aka Knitting At Large, which is dedicated to helping those of us with ample figures make knitwear that fits. Julie's blog is a mine of information and entertainment on this subject and she has just started a new feature to showcase lovely knits on plus size women. I'm delighted and honoured to report that the inaugural edition features not only Laurie's beautiful Eadon cardigan but my own Skara Brae sweater! Both these patterns are in the Ravelry database and, as I've said before, if you aren't a member then you really should be!
 

1 comment: