Friday 18 January 2008

The Dark Side

Well it's 11.20 am here and looks like twilight outside. Today is a day of random thoughts and tinkering. Actually I was just considering how our foremothers managed without electric light; all that fine needlework, quilting, embroidery, lacemaking - not to mention reading and drawing - must have been an incredible challenge in winter or low light conditions.

I can't imagine doing any of those things by the light of oil lamps or candles, and when I see some of the work they produced I'm amazed at their tenacity and resourcefulness.

Thank goodness for full spectrum energy saving lightbulbs I say!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:22 pm

    This is a beautiful piece. I Love the negative background image and the contrast of the ladies. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete