Friday 28 November 2008

Papery Goodness

I don't think I've shared this with you before but when I was a very small child I used to eat paper. Printed paper was the tastiest as I recall, and I remember being told off on numerous occasions when my mother would find me behind the sofa nibbling on pieces of newsprint and even, now and again, strips torn from my storybooks.

Thankfully I outgrew this habit but I still love paper, printed or otherwise. These days I prefer to paint on it or make books and tags from it. It still provides the same sense of satisfaction as having a mouth full of wood pulp although I think it's probably better for me.

This fine stag in my shop here

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:35 pm

    I remember these really delicious dinner rolls my grandmother would feed to us on holidays...they looked like big flakey cupcakes..I would butter those beauties up and suck down 3-4 of them instead of turkey or ham..delicious.

    It wasn't until I was much older that I noticed that the rolls actually had a paper liner that I had been eating the entire time! LOL The liner was the same color as the bottom portion of the dinner roll and I was always too busy eating them to notice the other family members taking the paper off.

    Happy Holidays, Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, while I never ate paper- at least on purpose- I did have a habit of eating the fur of my stuffed animals. I was one odd kid. So glad to know I wasn't the only one eating bizarre things. :)

    BTW- is that an elk or reindeer in the photo? It's a beautiful illustration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy I think it was a reindeer. Oh boy am I glad I'm not the only one eating strange things either!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so nice to see i'm not the only one that ate paper...i ate the flowers in the yard too - it's hard to believe i survived that - good thing we didn't have foxglove when i was little!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol you are not alone! I'm a writer in addition to my visual arts--and I've been working on a poem about my former paper-eating habit. :) Nice to know I'm not crazy...or at least alone....

    -Amanda, fellow Etsyan

    ReplyDelete