Saturday 27 February 2010

Illumination

 
I have owned a large set of Karisma coloured pencils for several years now but hardly ever used them. Somehow, whenever I tried to work with them I felt really dissatisfied with the results, but every so often I dig the box out again and have another go.

This time I had something of an epiphany when I discovered that at least part of my problem has been that I just hadn't found the right paper to apply them to. I've tried a lot of different papers, including Bristol board which is often recommended for coloured pencil, and never liked the way the colour went on or the blending capabilities I had with it. For this drawing I used my favourite block of Arches hot pressed watercolour paper and, bingo!, I was much more at peace with my materials. 
 
It was one of those lightbulb moments and it reminded me that sometimes I really do have to just keep on keeping on, even when it might seem fruitless, because you never know what might happen next.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment