Friday 11 March 2011

Tiree

Neither of my parents ever went to sea but I grew up with the Shipping Forecast on the radio. Dad in particular always listened carefully to it so I would listen too. And I was transported to a mysterious world of places I had never heard of: Viking, Forth, Tyne, Dogger, North Utsire, South Utsire, the list rolled through my childhood like a mantra and I am still listening to this day and trying to capture that magic in paint and ink.

Tiree is an island in the Hebrides, away off the coast of Scotland.

This piece was created with oil pastels, a medium with similar properties to oil paint, on heavy paper.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one! I like how you did on the grass and cloud. I've never used oil pastels this well. wow. I love your imagination;)!

    ReplyDelete